Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Stuff You Should Listen To: Vol. 1

I sit here at work, fairly bored flipping through songs on my ipod to play at very low volumes and I am suddenly compelled to needlessly bombard whomever stumbles upon this wee blog with my music taste.

Things that have been on heavy rotation on my iPod:

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory


















In my humble opinion THE perfect, quintessential Hip Hop Album. If you ever wanted to explain what Hip Hop was and what it is SUPPOSED to be, this album should be the top example. The beats get you on your feet, the incredibly tight bass lines rock you to the very core, and the lyrics enlighten, empower and amuse you all at the same time.


Nine Inch Nails - The Slip


















Yeah, I liked it. I liked it ALOT. Sue me. I honestly enjoy this album greater than most of what Trent Reznor has done since The Downward Spiral. It is by no means a return to form, but more of a return to basics. It doesn't try to blow you face off with sound, nor make your parents cringe with lyrics about religion and hot sweet animal lovin. It just takes you fun little musical ride that you will want to experience again and again and again. Download it for free (if you haven't already) here.


Portishead - Third


















As soon as I heard the opening *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tiiish* of cymbols in "Silence", the first song on the first new Portishead Album since 1997, I knew I was in for something very special. This album is a massive departure from the Portishead of the 90's. Gone are the super slick jazzy beats and triphop turntableisms. Gone are the breaks and sharp venomous lyrics we grew so used to from Beth Gibbons. Here instead, is the dirty, gritty, pulpy, scratchy, unnerving soundtrack to the greatest pulp drama never made. Rarely does a musical work have the same resonance with me as a film or a novel, but after the droning guitar of final track "Threads" ceased, I couldn't help but just lay there on my floor and allow what just heard to soak in fully.


Various Artists - The Liverpool Chiptune Compilation


















A hotly anticipated compilation of chiptune cover of songs made by bands from Liverpool. featuring chip musicians such as Nullsleep, Goatslacker, Seed AI, AutoDaFe, and Bud Melvin. Not much I can really say other than this compo is FANTASTIC!
A stand out track for me would be "While My Gameboy Gently Weeps" by Seed A.I, a cover of one of my favorite Beatles songs. Download it here.

Thats it for now. I may do more of these in the future. Now it's time to return to *shudder* work.

No comments: